Tifton Rideshare Accident Lawyer for Lyft and Uber Accidents
Since its introduction, ridesharing has only increased in popularity. Unfortunately, this means rideshare accidents are also on the rise. If you were injured as a passenger in an accident involving a Lyft or an Uber driver, it is essential to understand these cases are complicated when pursuing a claim. A Tifton rideshare accident attorney can help you navigate the claim process so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Who is Liable in Georgia? The Driver or the Rideshare Company?
You might think because your accident involves a corporate entity, it would simplify the claim process. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Both Uber and Lyft take the position they are not transportation companies; instead, they are software platforms that connect riders with drivers. They take the position that their drivers are independent contractors. Therefore, they argue any claims arising from the driver’s negligence should be brought against the driver and not against Uber or Lyft.
Uber and Lyft’s attempts to avoid liability become especially problematic when the driver has let their insurance lapse or their insurance company declines coverage because the driver is not insured for commercial purposes. To ensure rideshare accident victims are covered, lawmakers across the country adopted laws forcing Uber and Lyft to provide insurance coverage. However, how their insurance provides coverage can be incredibly complex compared to insurance coverage involving only private passenger vehicles.
Insurance is Complicated in Tifton Rideshare Accidents
Determining which insurance is responsible for providing coverage will depend on what the rideshare driver was doing at the time of the accident:
- Uber and Lyft will not provide insurance coverage if the app is off. In that case, the driver’s insurance will be the only source of coverage
- Uber and Lyft will provide coverage if the app was on and the driver was waiting for a ride, accepted a ride request, or transported passengers
If the app is on and running, the amount of coverage available in the state of Georgia will vary according to what the driver was doing at the time:
- The driver has not yet accepted a ride request:
- $25,000 coverage for property damage
- $50,000 coverage for bodily injury per person up to $100,000 total per accident
- The driver has accepted a ride request:
- Liability coverage of up to $1,000,000
Identifying the facts in your case will be critical. An experienced Tifton rideshare accident attorney can analyze your case and determine how you will need to proceed.
How a Tifton Rideshare Accident Lawyer Can Help Help You Get Compensation from Uber or Lyft
If you were injured in a rideshare accident, you might be entitled to the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
Proving your claim is much more complicated than many people realize. An experienced Tifton rideshare accident attorney can help in the following ways:
- Collecting evidence from the scene of the accident
- Gathering the documentation needed to prove your case
- Interviewing potential witnesses
- Handling all communication with the insurance company and opposing parties
Contact a Tifton Rideshare Accident Lawyer at Hudson Injury Firm
If you were injured in a rideshare accident an experienced Tifton rideshare accident attorney can get the compensation you deserve. To discuss your case and how we can help, call us at (229) 396-5845 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with our Uber and Lyft accident attorneys.