Tifton Slip and Fall Attorney Representing Accident Victims
Every property owner has a legal obligation to ensure their property is safe for guests and visitors. When they fail to meet this obligation, and someone is injured, the property owner may be held liable for the accident. If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation. A Tifton slip and fall attorney can help you get the compensation you need to make a full recovery.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Georgia
Slip and fall accidents are more common than many people realize and can result in serious injuries. From public property to retail establishments and entertainment venues, these are some of the most common causes of slip and fall injuries:
- Wet flooring
- Torn or wrinkled carpeting
- Cracked or broken concrete or asphalt flooring
- Loose or missing handrails
- Worksites: slip and fall accidents can occur when the work area is cluttered with debris or employees are not adequately trained
- Nursing homes: elderly residents can slip and fall when they are not adequately supervised or cannot get the assistance they need
- Weather: rain, snow, and ice can cause sidewalks, stairs, and parking lots to become slick
It can be challenging to determine whether the property owner’s negligence caused your slip and fall accident. No matter what caused your accident, a Tifton slip and fall attorney can review your case and determine whether you have a claim.
Common Places Where Slip and Fall Accidents Occur
A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere, but just like there are some common causes of slip and fall accidents, there are also certain locations where such accidents commonly occur.
Grocery Store and Supermarket Slip and Fall Accidents:
Spills happen regularly in grocery stores and supermarkets. Because a spill can happen at any time in any location in the store, it can take time for the store’s staff to learn of the spill and dispatch someone to clean it up.
Whenever you encounter a wet floor, you run the risk of slipping and falling. This means a spill in a grocery aisle can pose a hazard. If you slip and fall as a result, you may have the grounds to make a claim against the store if you can show that the store knew about the spill or should have known about it, and didn’t clean it up in a timely manner.
Of course, a spill is just one of the many things that can cause a slip and fall accident in a grocery store or supermarket. Other potentially hazardous situations include improperly stacking goods or inventory and neglecting to repair cracked or uneven flooring.
Sidewalk Slip and Fall Accidents:
Slip and fall accidents often happen when a sidewalk has been improperly maintained or repaired or has not been cleared off in a timely manner after a weather event such as torrential rains or a rare ice event.
In Georgia, property and business owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalk next to their property. Sometimes, particularly if the sidewalk is not adjacent to private property, a government agency may be the entity responsible for maintaining the sidewalk. If you suffer a sidewalk slip and fall accident, determining who is responsible will be one of the first challenges you’ll face when you bring a claim.
Once you’ve determined the party responsible, to win your claim, you’ll need to show that the party responsible for taking care of the sidewalk knew or should have known that the sidewalk posed a hazard and that you were acting in a reasonable way when you had the accident.
Apartment Slip and Fall Accidents:
An apartment is often the host of a number of potentially dangerous conditions in the shared common areas. Wet floors in hallways, improperly secured handrails, and broken or uneven pavement are some common hazards you might have the misfortune of coming across in an apartment complex. These are all dangerous conditions that can cause a slip and fall accident.
As with slip and fall accidents in other locations, in order to succeed in your claim against the rental property owner or property management company, you’ll need to show that the defendant was negligent in not taking care of the property, and their failure to properly maintain the property was the cause of your slip and fall accident.
No matter where your slip and fall accident occurred, a Tifton slip and fall attorney can assess your situation to determine if you have a claim against the person or entity responsible for maintaining the property where your accident occurred.
Essential Considerations in Slip and Fall Cases
Many people who are injured in slip and fall accidents do not realize they have a claim. This belief is based on a variety of misconceptions, but here are some important considerations to keep in mind:
- You might be entitled to compensation even if the property owner was not aware of the hazard. Property owners must inspect their property in order to identify potential hazards routinely.
- If you were injured on public property, your case might be more complicated, but you can still pursue a claim. There may be specific rules for bringing a claim against a government entity, but you can still hold them accountable for their negligence.
- Your injuries may not be immediately apparent. Even if you do not think you were seriously injured, you should still get a thorough medical exam.
- You may be entitled to compensation even if you were partially at fault.
How a Tifton Slip and Fall Attorney Can Help in Georgia
A Tifton slip and fall attorney can help in the following ways:
- They will thoroughly investigate your accident to determine the cause and how the property owner’s negligence caused your accident.
- They will gather the evidence you need to prove your case, such as accident reports, statements from witnesses, and security camera footage.
- They will help you document your injuries and prove your damages by collecting your medical bills and records.
Speak with the Hudson Injury Firm Today
You should speak to an attorney right away if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to prove your case. At Hudson Injury Firm, we help our clients build a strong case to get the compensation needed to pay medical bills and put their lives back together. To speak with an experienced Tifton slip and fall attorney, call us today at 229-396-5845 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.