Experienced Tifton Truck Accident Attorney
The trucking industry is an important lifeline for our country’s economy. However, these large trucks do present heightened dangers to other drivers on the road. In the event of an accident, the size and weight of these vehicles can do catastrophic damage, resulting in severe injuries and even death. Truck accidents are complex cases. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you need an experienced Tifton truck accident attorney who will fight for your rights and get you the compensation you need to rebuild your life.
How Truck Accidents are Different from Car Accidents
Because of their increased size and weight, truck accidents often result in catastrophic injuries. Trucks, such as tractor trailers, require longer stopping distances, are less maneuverable than passenger vehicles, and have larger blind spots. As such, litigating these claims are more complex than accidents involving passenger vehicles for several reasons:
- Because of their size and weight, truck accidents often involve multiple vehicles.
- Truck accidents often have unique causes that aren’t present in car accident cases.
- Truck accident cases often involve corporate entities.
- The cargo that trucks haul can also present unique hazards.
For these reasons, you need a personal injury attorney who has experience in handling truck accident cases if you’ve been injured in a truck accident. A Tifton truck accident attorney can help you understand your options and navigate the claim process so that you can get the compensation you need.
Common Injuries Suffered in Tractor Trailer and Other Truck Accidents
Many truck accident victims suffer severe injuries that can require months of recovery and even result in permanent disabilities. Here are some of the common injuries suffered by truck accident victims:
- Broken bones
- Severed limbs
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Burn injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Torn ligaments and tendons
- Internal organ damage
In addition to physical injuries, many truck accident victims report psychological trauma such as severe anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
These injuries can result in considerable medical expenses. Even if you have health insurance, your out-of-pocket expenses such as copays and deductibles can be significant. A dedicated Tifton truck accident attorney can help you get the compensation you need to pay your medical bills.
Truck Accident Causes in Georgia
Just like any other motor vehicle accident, the majority of truck accidents are due to negligence on the part of the driver. Many truck accidents are the result of the following negligent behavior:
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failure to yield
- Running stop signs and stop lights
- Distracted driving
- Driving while intoxicated
In addition to ordinary negligence, there are factors that are more common in truck accidents than other motor vehicle cases:
- Driving while fatigued. Drivers are under intense pressure to make deliveries on time and spend long hours behind the wheel. This means that they may be driving while drowsy, which can lead to delayed reaction times and poor judgment.
- Lack of training or experience. Driving a semi-truck or tractor-trailer requires a specific set of skills and considerable experience. Accidents can occur when an inexperienced or poorly trained driver gets behind the wheel of a large truck.
- Mechanical failures. Tractor-trailers spend far longer on the road than your average passenger vehicle and therefore require a much higher standard of maintenance. Brake failures, worn-out tires, and other mechanical failures can lead to catastrophic accidents.
You need to be able to identify the cause of the accident in order to determine who should be held liable. Unfortunately, this is rarely easy. An experienced Tifton truck accident attorney can review your case and determine whether you have a claim for compensation.
Who Is At Fault? A Tifton Truck Accident Attorney Explains
Even if your accident was caused by the truck driver’s negligence, the trucking company may still be liable for your claim. This is the legal concept of vicarious liability – the employer can be held liable for the actions of the employee because the employee acts at the direction of the employer and to their benefit. This is beneficial to the victim, as the trucking company is more likely to have the resources available to pay the victim’s claim.
However, many trucking companies hire their drivers as independent contractors. This means that the trucking company is intentionally trying to avoid being held liable for the negligence of their drivers. They may also avoid liability if the driver caused the accident while not actually working for the trucking company or engaged in illegal behavior.
The question of whether or not the trucking company may be held liable for your injuries is a complex legal issue. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced Tifton truck accident attorney if you have been injured in a truck accident and need compensation to pay your bills.
Our Tifton Truck Accident Attorney Holds Trucking Companies Liable
Trucking companies have a legal obligation to operate their business in a manner that does not expose other motorists to unnecessary danger. Unfortunately, many unscrupulous trucking companies will encourage their drivers to engage in unsafe driving or neglect maintaining their trucks. Here are some additional ways that trucking companies can breach their duty to conduct their business safely:
- Hiring drivers with known substance abuse problems and questionable driving records
- Hiring drivers who lack sufficient training and experience
- Failing to provide adequate training or supervision
- Failing to comply with state or federal trucking regulations
You may also need to consider who loaded the cargo – an unbalanced or unsecured load can significantly affect a truck’s handling and ability to avoid accidents. The people who loaded the truck may be employees of the trucking company or work for some other entity. An experienced Tifton truck accident attorney can unravel the layers of potential liability and hold the responsible parties accountable.
Injured in a Truck Accident? Contact a Tifton Truck Accident Attorney
Truck accidents are some of the most complex motor vehicle accident cases we handle. We understand the challenges of these cases and how to overcome them. More importantly, we understand how important it is that you get the compensation you need to pay your bills and take care of your family. Call or contact us online to speak with a Tifton truck accident attorney about your case and how we can help.